Friday, January 30, 2009

Signs of Spiritual Growth- Col. 1:9-14

Take your spiritual pulse and see if you have these "signs of spiritual growth" in your life (Col.1:9-14)? Ephesians 4:15 says, "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him (Christ) in all things…"

1. Am I cultivating a deep, growing, personal knowledge of God (v. 9a)?
- Are you stagnant spiritually? Is your love for Christ growing daily?

2. Does that knowledge control my life (v. 9a)?

- Are you dominated by it? Is it producing a Christlikeness in you?
- "filled" means consumed or controlled completely

3. Does that knowledge translate into action (v. 9b)?

- Do I get defensive? Do I get angry? Do I feel slighted or worry?
- Do I respond poorly to criticism? Am I highly opinionated or critical?
- I Cor. 14:20- “Brethren, be not children in understanding..."

4. Is my conduct continually pleasing to the Lord (v. 10a)? What is not pleasing?

- Any ambitions or attitudes or music or thoughts displeasing to God?
- "worthy" means humble, appropriate, loving and pleasing
- Psa. 66:18- “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.”

5. Am I bearing fruit regularly (v. 10b)?

- Examples:

Pointing people to Christ (I Cor. 16:15)
Overcoming temptations (I John 2:14)
A deeper love for God’s Word (Ps. 119:97)
A more perfect obedience (I John 2:3–5)
A greater love for Christ and others (Eph. 3:17-19)
A strong doctrinal foundation (I John 2:12–14)
Sacrificial giving (Rom. 15:26–28)
Godly living (Heb. 12:11)
Displaying holy attitudes (Gal. 5:22, 23)
Praising God for passionately (Heb. 13:15)
An expanding faith (II Thess. 1:3; II Cor. 10:5)
Partaking of the deeper truths of Scripture (Heb. 5:14)
Memorizing more Scripture

6. Am I growing in love and understanding of God’s Word (v. 10c)?

- Is the Word becoming a part of me? (see Col. 4:16 & Heb. 5:12)

7. Is there a continuous supply of God’s power in my life to deal with difficult people and difficult circumstances (v. 11)?

8. Am I a grateful person on a regular basis (vs. 12-14)? Do I complain and have a negative attitude? Am I thankful?